The school has a glorious, more than a century-long history. The musical classes of the Department of the Imperial Russian Musical Society were opened in Zhytomyr in 1905. On September 1, 1933, a music school with piano, violin, folk instruments and a dance class was opened at the Volyn Music College. Since 1957 the school has moved to Mikhaylivska street, unfortunately the historic building was demolished. The Executive Committee of the Zhytomyr City Council decided to change the name the school after Borys Liatoshynskyi on October 15, 1968. Due to the opening of another music school in Zhytomyr in 1971, the name of the school was changed to Zhytomyr Music School No. 1 named after Borys Liatoshynskyi.
Well-known performers, conductors, composers, and teachers were graduated from the school. Nowadays, 650 pupils study in 16 specialties at school. The educational process is improved and conducted on a professional level. Many students and collectives of the school become the winners of the International, Interregional, regional reviews and competitions every year. The school team conducts a lot of educational work, performs concerts, lectures and discussion clubs about art.
In May 2013, the museum in honor of Borys Liatoshynskyi was opened. In addition to excursions, the Museum is a cultural center, meetings, concerts, scientific readings are conducted there.
Many creative groups work in the school, especially we are proud of the choir “Gloria”. The choir is the 8-time Grand Prix winner, and a winner of many choir competitions in Europe. In 2016, the choir “Gloria” celebrated the 25th anniversary of its founding.
There is also a well known in our city ensemble of violinists.
Teaching at school is conducted in 18 specialties: Piano; Violin; Cello; Bayan; Accordion; Guitar; Bandura; Sopilka; Flute; Clarinet; Saxophone; Cossack Trumpet; Tenor; French horn; Percussion instrumentі; Choral singing; Solo singing; Art. Classes are paid. Children aged 6 to 15 years are enrolled.
Address: Zhytomyr, 5 Mykhailivska street.
(0412) 47-37-06 – director Valentyna Chudovska
(0412) 47-41-91 – deputy director Zoya Buravska
(0412) 47-37-06 – Bookkeeper.
The school is open from Monday to Saturday from 8.30 to 20.00.